Sunday, March 27, 2005

Where are the Heros? Where are the Angels?

For other reasons, Frou Frou said "Where are all the good men gone, and where are all the Gods? Where's the street-wise Hercules to fight the rising odds? Isn't there a white knight, upon a fiery steed?" To that I add, where are the Angels??
Everything is going wrong. Everything has been corrupted by us. Humans, ick. We molest, we euthanize, we bomb, we pillage, we sodomise, and we take. We have no shame, and do not care for one another. Something is definitely wrong.
Where are the Angels? Those guiding spirits, those silent whisperers that show us right from wrong. I feel blind without them. It is as though they have lost hope in mankind, lost hope that we will ever change and mend our ways. Can you blame them? I am scared. Scared that our own actions are slowly but surely sculpting our downfall. With every chisel in time, we are looming closer and closer to an end. An end that is inevitable.
I watched 'Spanglish' today with my family. It’s a movie about the cultural divide between Hispanics and Caucasians in America. In that movie, a Mexican mother tries to protect her daughter from the dangerous influence of the white community. Of course, she inevitably changes. The mother's conflict is this: If my child goes to a private white school, will she be odd or fit in. Which is worse? Being the odd one and having to face that for your whole life. Or fitting in and losing complete touch with one's own morals and values and culture. That is her dilemma. She brought her daughter to America with hopes of creating a better life for her than the one she created for herself. On the other hand, after living there, she realized that Americans’ have their own issues, perhaps not as taxing as hers, but issues nevertheless. What's the greater problem? Losing your life, or losing your values. What she does is simple; she leaves it to her daughter. She provides her daughter with enough knowledge to make the right decision and face the consequences with her mother by her side. At the end, after graduating from school with flying colors, she applies to Princeton. She tells them that although their acceptance means a lot to her, and getting accepted would be an honor, it would not define her. She is, and always will be, her mother's daughter before a Princeton graduate. Because that's the way her mother taught her. I think that's an Angel right there. Finally I found one. I felt relieved. Alas, the movie ended. I got up, but felt reassured for some reason. I turned to my right and saw an Angel. She asked me "Did you like the movie?" My reply, "I did, did you, Mom?" She smiled and nodded. For a split second, I heard the chisel fall.

Over and Out.


Waldo! at 12:03 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment